ssd question about VID and PID in MPTool (Asmedia ASM235CM)

question about VID and PID in MPTool (Asmedia ASM235CM) was created by MrAnon

Posted 1 month 5 days ago #3267
Hi to everyone,

I have just bought a "UGREEN USB 3.1 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure 6G with 2-in-1 USB A+USB-C to USB-C Cable" (sku 60735)

In my Ubuntu linux SO, I have this info

VID: 174c
PID: 235c

These IDs are correct for ASM235CM chipset¿? because this enclosure supposedly has an ASM235CM chipset.

When I download this tool from ugreen website for disable sleep mode (171120_D1_1E_80.bin) , I find that in the screenshots of manual also ini firmware config file (as_mp_Tool v0.3.ini) the VID is 174c BUT PID is 55AA (¿ASM1051E/ASM1053E/ASM1153/ASM115E?), is this wrong¿? should I change it to 235c before use MPTool??

THANKS!!!
Last Edit:1 month 5 days ago by MrAnon
  • Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by admin.

Please Connexion or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by aphanic on topic question about VID and PID in MPTool (Asmedia ASM235CM)

Posted 1 month 5 days ago #3268
    I don't think the PID is too important in this case because it doesn't need specific drivers to work, like a graphics card or some network adapter for example, but it may be treated differently depending on the OS (e.g., some odd controllers need UAS disabled or they act erratically on Linux, those quirks are handled by the VID/PID combination).

That said, I also have an UGREEN enclosure that uses the same bridge (metallic top with soft plastic bottom) that shipped as 174C:55AA, with the 171120_D1_1E_80 firmware. I have since upgraded its firmware to 220906_D1_45_01 (it seems, just checked 😅) and I kept the 55AA PID, no odd behavior or incompatibility to report, works as expected. I remember it making me wonder as well, because I had an ASM1153E based adapter that also used that PID.

If you haven't modified the firmware it shipped with, could you make a dump of it first and upload it somewhere? I am curious to know what they use these days. If you have a Windows machine or VM available, ASM FW Reader can do ti (  www.usbdev.ru/files/asmedia/asmfwreader/ ) there is also ASMTool (  github.com/smx-smx/ASMTool ) that could be built for Linux, but I have yet to use it.
    by aphanic
    The following user(s) said Thank You: MrAnon

Replied by Shonk on topic question about VID and PID in MPTool (Asmedia ASM235CM)

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #3282
    They are still using 171120_D1_1E_80
    I ordered 5 of them about a month ago direct from Ugreen
    all 5 had the same firmware the only difference was the serial number and the nvram checksum byte

220906_D1_45_01.bin the almost off non working led bugs me
    220906_D1_15_C5.bin forces it to Transcend Jetflash and the led is reversed (C4 also..)
    210830_D1_00_00.bin aparently has a bug that the eject hardware increases the number of unsafe shutdowns;
    200416_D1_06_20.bin seems fine and led works the same as 171120_D1_1E_80 but doesnt clone over the drive model

Will be sticking with 171120_D1_1E_80 until something better comes along
    with the serial number cloned over and idle timer set to 10 mins instead of 3
    Last Edit:1 month 3 days ago by Shonk
    Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by Shonk.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: MrAnon

Replied by MrAnon on topic question about VID and PID in MPTool (Asmedia ASM235CM)

Posted 1 month 2 days ago #3291
    Hi!

@aphanic

I just dumped the original firmware of my enclosure with ASM FW reader tool in a Windows 7 VirtualBox machine. You can download it thru this link: www.mediafire.com/file/j7g202wc4b8s6v4/U...ck-firmware.zip/file , I hope it is useful to you.

Regarding VID and PID, I think I get your point, I´ve been searching info and I found this this: usb-ids.gowdy.us/read/UD/174c
    It seems 235c PID has been reported but there is no entry for it in the usb.ids file, right? So, I understand that the proper PID is 235c but at this time could be a good option change it to 55AA in case of suffer performance or stability problems in order to SO applies same specific settings for others ASMedia chipsets like ASM1051E ?

@Shonk

I appreciate that additional info about those firmwares.

thanks both of you for responding me!
    Last Edit:1 month 2 days ago by MrAnon
    Last edit: 1 month 2 days ago by MrAnon.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds